Finishing the Corset....

After boning the corset (see my older posts for the previous stages in making the corset) the next stage was to attach the eyelets. I had planned on using metal eyelets, however the more I thought about it, the more I realised that if I want the re-creation of this garment to be as authentic as possible then I should really hand sew the eyelets. I have never hand sewn eyelets before, so had a quick look on the internet for how to do it, had a few practice attempts, and then got to work on the corset! 
I came across a great tip when I looking for how to sew eyelets, about how to make a hole it the fabric. Instead of cutting a hole straight into the fabric, make a small puncture in the fabric, using the end of some small sharp sissors and strech out the hole out. In the picture above I am using the handle of a paint brush to stretch the holes to the required amount. This makes the holes much more stronger, as you aren't actually cutting into any of the fabric, meaning the eyelets are less likely to snag under the strain of the laces.
One down side to hand sweing the eyelets is that it obviously took alot longer than I had planned when I thought I was putting metal ones it in! However after a couple of extra days work, I am more than happy with the result, they look so much nicer than the modern metal alternative!
After I was done with the eyelets, it was time to attach the tassets and bias bind the edges....
Followed by lacing up onto the mannequin and, hurray, the corset was complete!
 I am really pleased with how this corset has turned out, in particular how authentic it looks!

1 comment:

  1. The corset truly is authentic! Have you ever watched the movie Titanic? Your corset looks like what Rose (the leading lady of the main character) wore in the movie. Fabulous! I’ve spent half of my life sewing Kostüm Kinder, I guess creating a corset would be great; for a change!

    ReplyDelete